Lingering Inside your HOME MAY BE Deadly Poisonous Gas

DANGER: Cracked Heat Exchanger

gray tubes heat exchanger
orange carbon monoxide and black

Home Prevention

Danger: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Every and every year , accidental carbon monoxide poisoning occurs in many homes. Causing up to 400 deaths per year.   As CO levels increase and remain above 70 ppm, symptoms may become more noticeable (headache, fatigue, nausea). As CO levels increase above 150 to 200 ppm, disorientation, unconsciousness, and death are possible.  For a person to begin feeling the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning, they would need to be exposed to a carbon monoxide level of 50 parts per million (PPM) for eight hours. 

CARBON MONOXIDE or CO is a colorless, odorless and invisible gas that is 

the byproduct of fossil fuels when burned. Common fuels include natural gas, propane, fuel oil, gasoline and wood. Carbon Monoxide has no taste, smell or odor for detection by our senses. Dangerous levels can build up very quickly from within any indoor environment if not contained and vented properly to outdoors which can cause illness and even furthermore, lethal poisoning.  

Good news, carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented.  

For many people, the first signs of exposure may include headaches, dizziness, loss of breath during physical activity, fatigue and nausea. Symptoms can progress to more severe forms such as confusion, irritability, impaired judgement, loss of coordination and unconsciousness.   

Wood burning fireplaces. Improper venting and updraft or chimney effect can retard gases from exiting to outdoors.  Examples of harmful organic chemicals 

in wood smoke include: benzene, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH's)  Many other harmful substances, 

such as toxic organic chemicals, can be carried into the lungs by fine particles. 

An organic chemical is any chemical made of both carbon and hydrogen. 

Many organic chemicals in wood smoke may contribute to health problems in 

the respiratory tract which may contribute to "outdoor" air pollution issues as well. 

An older furnace may have cause for alarm with potential carbon monoxide issues. Older atmospherically vented furnaces which had a stack temperature 

on average of 400F needed additional attention. Any source of backdrafting within home creating a negative pressure imbalance could cause problems 

with potential carbon monoxide poisoning. Any furnace inspection shall always consider a carbon monoxide test and a visual inspection of heat exchanger to assure safe operating conditions within your home.     

Attached garages may be another source of carbon monoxide poisoning. Why, because it is physically attached to the home by an interior wall. Connected to a living area such as a kitchen, mud room, entry way, living room.  Unless this wall is sealed by poly material, air tight from garage areas and meets code requirements in your city, penetration of very poisonous fumes may enter breathing or living area of occupants. Consult your local home inspector or call us @ 952.941.6049 for your appointment.

Minnesota Law requires homes to have at least (one) operating CO detector, alarm within 10 ft of every bedroom used for sleeping purposes. Many cities require in combination thereof, CO, smoke and fire detector alarms. 

Learn More

Call 952.941.6049  Professional furnace and carbon monoxide inspection with flue gas analysis of your heating system today.